Is Social Media Contributing Towards e-Learning?
May 4th, 2009
Before we could talk about the contributing effects of social media to e-learning it is important that we understand the terms ‘Social Media’ and ‘e-Learning’ in the first place.
What Do You Know About e-Learning?
E-Learning signifies the learning process through internet, in short called the web based learning. Online education is a dream come true for aspiring students. Learning online has improved to become e-Learning, using various social networking tools to make learning a lively experience. Online Learning is more than publishing of materials over the net, facilities such as online lectures, interactive platforms, online discussions, blogs and facilities to view and hear them over mobile devices have rather given a new dimension to web based learning.
Teaching and training takes place at anytime of the day and from anywhere in the world. Isn’t that great? The effectiveness of online education greatly depends on how well one makes use of the facility and his/her willingness to study. One should be competent enough in handling the latest technology to reap the benefits of online learning.
What Is A Social Media or Social Networking?
Social Media or Social Networking is all about staying in touch with people or in short stay connected. With the technological advancements you interact, share and spend lot more time together with your friends and family that ever before. Geographical constraints is not anymore in the picture now, you talk, share and interact with anyone no matter in which part of the world they are located in. This platform for social interaction is now used for Online Learning. It is no more called online learning, it is known as e-Learning.
Popular Social Networking Sites:
- Reddit: A social bookmarking community, which enables you to share your web based book markings instantaneously.
- Delicious: It is a collection of one’s favorites. You can access and share it with everyone across the world.
- Furl: A social bookmarking tool which enables users to store, share and access web pages.
- Yahoo My Web: My Web 2.0 enables you to tap the knowledge of people sharing similar or completely new interests which helps you find solutions with a reference.
- Stumbleupon: An extremely convenient site which enables you to make use of a vast network of web searchers who find tremendously useful sites and share them with you.
- Share2Me: It is an easy to use browser which enables you to share your favorites on the web with your friends.
- Upscoop: An online service which finds friends and your other contacts participating various social networks on the web, namely LinkedIn, Facebook, MySpace on the basis of their email ids.
- Yahoo Answers: It is a wonderful place to ask questions and get answers to any of the question you put up on the website.
- Digg: A social bookmarking site that was originally meant for tech news which later became the hub of teenage talks.
- Twitter: Also called miniblog is a social networking site that enables users to send and read other user’s updates known as tweets. Also known as the SMS of internet.
- Facebook: A networking site which enables users to stay in touch, share and interact online. One of the frequently used website for online discussion among students.
- Flickr: An online community platform, a host website for images and videos. A popular photo repository for bloggers.
Various Social Networking Tools That Help In e-Learning:
- Presentation Stage
- PowerPoint Helps in creating professional presentations like charts and diagrams and images.
- Zoho Show A free online presentation program that allows users to create power point and open office presentations
- 280 Slides Free online presentation software that helps in adding audio, video, graphics to the presentation.
- ScreenToaster: An online screen recorder which is free to use, which is used for e-Learning, reviews, tips and tutorials.
- DemoCreator: Professional software used for creating better-than-live video tutorials for presentations and training.
- Adobe Captive: Electronic learning tool for Microsoft Windows used for software demonstrations, simulations, scenarios and quizzes.
- Articulate QuizMaker: Commercial tool that generates web-based quizzes.
- Online Classes Stage
- WiZiQM Free online e-teaching and e-learning software using web conferencing and presentation sharing.
- Adobe Acrobat Connect Pro A complete Web communications solution enabling online meetings and virtual classes
- Stage of Managing Courses
- Moodle A simple way to open a blog. Used as an own professional diary, journal and online discussion platform
- Online Communication Stage
- Edublogs It is one of the biggest online learning communities ever.
- Blogger A professional blogging site used for a wide variety of discussions.
Posted In: Blogs, Online Learning, Social Media