Online PhD degree in Nutrition
March 18th, 2010, Kelly Gibson
Good nutrition is the foremost form of preventative care and is promoted by all the world’s top public health officials. These officials act upon the advice of nutrition researchers who utilize the skills they gain during their pursuit of their PhD in Nutrition to develop strategies and health policies that encourage healthy lifestyles among the population. Health nutritionist conduct many ground breaking researches, develop and illustrate the relationship between good nutrition and positive growth, train next generation nutritionist and steer public policy.
One of the easiest ways of gaining a PhD in Nutrition is by pursuing your PhD in Nutrition online. The online PhD in Nutrition is specially design for those busy nutritionist who do not have the freedom of pursuing their degree in a traditional institution. During the online PhD in Nutrition, students are allowed to study at their own pace and from locations convenient to them as long as they have access to the internet.
Background of the Online PhD in Nutrition
The Online PhD in Nutrition employs a dual approach in their presentation to its students. The degree utilizes both scientific research and applied practice to prepare students for the realities and challenges of the real world. Students are allowed to choose an area of specialization that they will focus on during the course. Typically, specializations are categorized in groups such as:
- Scientific Enquiry: In this category, students can choose from areas such as immunology, Human Metabolism, dietetics, nutrition epidemiology and biostatistics, food science and biotechnology and biochemical nutrition.
- Target Populations: This specialization targets special segments of the population. It gives students specialization options such as petrinatal, pediatric, geriatric and animal nutrition.
- Public Health: The specialization with focus on healthcare allows students to specialize in areas such as sports nutrition, obesity and weight management, nutrition policy, holistic, community, clinical and diabetic nutrition.
How to Prepare for an Online PhD in Nutrition
When deciding to pursue an online PhD in Nutrition, students must go through a process of preparation and investigation before choosing any particular online university. This process is as follows:
- Make List of possible Online Institutions: The journey begins with making a list of all the institutions that provide an online PhD in Nutrition program. This list is then narrowed down based on the information on these institutions based on information gained from various accreditation and independent agencies.
- Check out Academic Program: This involves checking what and how the university’s online program is designed. The better online universities will have a mentorship program, give a list of faculty research topics, give students access to research resources, clear description of the curriculum and offer some funding assistance for scientific research.
- Evaluate Program Quality: The quality of the online PhD in Nutrition offered by an online university will have a direct impact on your employment options after graduation. Students should make their decision based on the university’s graduation rate, reputation, selectivity, job placement statistics and career support resources.
- Secure Financial Support: Online PhDs are not cheap. So prior to committing yourself to the online PhD in Nutrition, students should ensure they have all the required funding to complete the online course.
Posted In: Online Degree, Online PhD Program